Monday 25 July 2011

touches of yellow

As you can probably guess from my blog, I love yellow.  

I am coming out of my "beige phase" and starting to embrace colour again.  (To recap I spent my teens in the 90s and really feel for me that era was full of beige, hiding away from any colour or pattern.  When studying architecture I really embraced the minimal, white aesthetic, with touches of raw materials, but again I shied away from colour)

Now I am not saying I would paint every room in my house a different colour, I am definitely no Zandra Rhodes, but I feel touches of colour can really enhance, enliven and evoke different emotions.

I prefer the more mustard yellows rather than neon yellows, but 
for me yellow is just happy.  

Whenever I see it, it makes me smile :-)


I thought I would record some of my favourite images that I have found on Pinterest this week.

Mini Moderns fantastic Festival porcelain set, due to be released soon. I can't wait!!!


This image is from a Danish Artist's Flat from the blog, My Scandinavian Retreat



This image is pinned from Louise Rastall's Blog
From a sneak peak at the little Greene Paint Company's new paint colours


This beautiful group of chairs was pinned from Nathan Michael and The Archive



I love the yellow chair, I want a yellow chair!
This image was pinned from MidCenturyHome



This image was pinned from erigutt photostream on Flickr


This image was pinned from retromoderni.blospot.com

These Fabulous shoes, which I would never be able to walk in, are pinned from Next

This sliding barn door certainly makes a statement, pinned from apartment therapy

What are your favourite colours?  
How does yellow make you feel?  
How do you feel about colour in design?

Would love to know!

2 comments:

Ruth Quibell said...

My husband, who is not a fan of yellow, saw yellow in a completely new way after coming across Félix Vallotton's painting, La liseuse (1922). Amazing painting.

My favourite colours are green and raspberry red, but I prefer them used sparingly in interiors, where I like more subdued colours: indigo, especially Japanese fabrics, against a background of clean whites and calicos, and wood and rich glazes.

This probably sounds boring, but so much colour in our house comes in the shape of flowers and books and rugs!

ruth said...

thank you for your comment!

I didn't know that painting and have just looked it up and it is stunning!

Green and raspberry red are beautiful colours, they are so fresh.

I also think things like flowers and accessories are the best and easiest ways to add colour. being in a rented property at the moment I am embracing this!

x